2008-12-13

Quick Tip #2 - Toxic Sludge Water Effects

Ever thought about adding some water effect for that "Oooo you used water effects" reaction from your gaming group? Well I thought it was about time for me to try it out. I used Realistic Water from Woodland Scenics. This stuff is a pain, but here is a simple, effective way to make it your slave:

1) Before painting, carve a hole in your base & glue some plastic card to the bottom. Make sure that there are no leaks. I just use a bit of extra super glue to do this. When finished, you will have you a very shallow impression.












2) Paint the base, add flocking, & clear coat it. Also, make sure to paint the plastic card section what ever color you plan the water color to be.






3) Add pigment (paint) to the mix as desired then pour. I went with Catachan Green for the dirty toxic war zone feel.






4) Let Dry for 24 hours & repeat until you like the look. It took about 4 times until it filled up enough for my liking. The last time I didn't bother to add any pigment. The two pics on the bottom right are of the same base. The last one has a mat varnish on it. It dulled it too much for my liking, so I'll probably go back and a a bit more water effect later to bring back the shine.







I swore a lot because I'm impatient. Every morning was a disappointment, as my puddle had sunk AGAIN. But in the end, it looks pretty good.

Jeff C.

Realistic Water - Woodland Scenic
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out